Table of Contents Hide
We might have a point to make in terms of how technology has changed our lifestyle for the worse. That is, spending more time on your cell phone than with your loved ones should be the exception, not the rule. However, in the kitchen, tables could be easily turned because, who wants to spend more time cooking than sitting down and enjoying a flavor packed meal with your favorite person? Who wants to spend time cleaning just three pots for a dish that took two hours to make and ten minutes to eat? Less than a century ago, the microwave oven appeared to solve (almost) all of our problems.
From the first version of this marvelous kitchen appliance until now, technology has gone a long way and every new version of the microwave oven is even better than the last one. Nowadays, every home has one and it turned out to be so popular that the industry is now also concerned with health and what impact this kind of technology has on our food and, hence, on our bodies.
Given certain security standards, people started noticing that they could use the microwave oven not only for a quick heat-up of a cup of coffee, the leftovers from the previous night or defrosting that piece of chicken just before you start cooking. In the present, we see more and more recipes that are based on having a microwave.
Pros and… just pros
Of course we could point out the negative aspects to the microwave oven, it’s not exactly the same as using a stove or an oven, but the pro list keeps getting longer and longer in time.
First, it’s cleaner, no only in the making as you use just one pot in one appliance, it’s also clear after the cooking. While after using a stove, you have to spend an extra time in the kitchen cleaning it, the microwave saves some precious minutes there.
And that’s not the only case of time saving, contrary to the oven, the microwave is ready to use. You don’t need to remember to preheat it in order to get your meal ready and it kind of does the cooking for you. You just have to set the timer right and it will let you know when the cooking is done.
Microwave oven based recipes
You’re probably already thinking of a few dishes you can get ready with the help of a microwave oven, but here you’ll read about one that didn’t probably cross your mind. And if time-saving wasn’t enough of a feature, versatility is here to win you over. Next time you want to make a rice-based dish, turn to your microwave and look how quickly it gets done. That’s right, rice can be cooked in a microwave in just a few minutes. So, here’s a recipe for you to learn How To Make Egg Fried Rice | Minute® Rice using this classic kitchen appliance.
- 1 cup of rice.
- 2 eggs.
- Mixed coleslaw.
- ½ cup of peas.
- 1 tbsp of soy sauce.
- 1 tbsps of hot sauce.
- As for the rice, you’ll want to pour one cup of rice and two cups and a half of water in a bowl. Take that to the microwave and cook to a high heat for five minutes. Take it out, stir and cook at a medium high for another five minutes. Once done, take it out, stir and let it sit for a couple of minutes.
- Now, you’ll need two eggs. Beat them up and pour that in a bowl. Cover the bowl with some microwave-safe plastic paper and make some holes.
- Cook for just one minute to medium-high. If necessary, cook for an extra thirty seconds until the eggs are cooked. Once they are, take the bowl out and shred the eggs down with the help of a fork.
- In that same bowl, pour a mix of shredded coleslaw and add a tablespoon of soy sauce and one of hot sauce. Take it back to the microwave for just one minute. Cook until the mix is soft and tender.
- Take it out and mix together with the previously cooked rice and add the shredded eggs.
- Top it all with half a cup of peas and mix everything together.
If you like your peas tender, toss them in together with the coleslaw, the soy sauce and the hot sauce.
Don’t be afraid! The microwave is ready, waiting for you to exploit it with some fascinating recipes!